It’s been a busy week since I last posted.-á I had a great article replete with photos entitled “First Days” which was about the first day of school in general and the one we experienced at Dade Christian in Miami where I am serving as a part-time interim, but WordPress went crazy for a day or so and I couldn’t get it posted and I eventually lost it somewhere in cyperspace.-á But we had a great opening to school at DCS with between 1,300 and 1,400 students, 106 in the senior class (a school record), a tremendous orientation for faculty and just a generally great week.-á Upon my return to Charlotte, it was a busy week of painting and remodeling the house we are moving into in the next few weeks, a great Sunday service at Providence Church where my good friend, Ken Rudolph delivered an awesome message on prayer and then catching a plane back to Miami last night.-á
So on the plane last night, I jotted down a list of rants, observations, questions and oddities while we flew south.-á By far, my periodic “Rants” are the most popular blog articles I post (based on feedback) which probably says a lot about me and you, the readers.-á Last week, I had at least a dozen people write, call or mention to me that they were waiting for the next installment.-á So, in no order of importance or significance or anything else….here we go yet again!
- So, who was the Rocket Scientist who decided to send the first teacher (to make it) into space during a time of the year when 99.9% of the students AREN’T EVEN IN SCHOOL?!?-á Hello, NASA?-á Doesn’t anyone there remember that agrarian ritual that’s been in our country for about 250 years known as “SUMMER BREAK?”-á
- Having switched to diet beverages several years ago, (when ironically, I weighed 20 pounds less), I now believe that the diet soda that tastes least like a diet soda is Diet A&W Root Beer.-á If you have to drink diet and if you like root beer, then Diet A&W is the way to go.-á (Plus, no caffiene!)
- While watching a classic game on ESPN the other night, it struck me that when I was in high school in the 70’s, all the guys wore short shorts and tall socks.-á Today’s teams wear long shorts (that look more like culottes than shorts) and short socks.-á Either way, we showed about the same amount of leg, just different parts of the leg.-á Let me pause here to say that I like the 00’s better than the 70’s.-á Can I get a witness?
- I’ve noticed that a professional liability that comes with working for the government at about any level seems to be extreme arrogance for some folks.
- I predict that the Democratic ticket will be Clinton/Obama and that they will win the White House.-á I’m not particularly glad about it, but it’s my prediction.
- Why is Obama considered a “black candidate” when he’s as much white as he is black?-á And why do we care?-á I’m far more interested in his stand on the issues than the tone of his skin.
- In the end, I’ll take character over talent and/or good looks any day.
- What’s with our culture’s production of “bad girls” lately?-á I thought boys were rats and snails and puppy dogs tails.-á Considering today’s crop of Paris, Lindsey, Britney and their ilk, someone’s going to need to rewrite-áthat nursery rhyme.-á And I REALLY don’t understand parents who let their-á’tween and teen kids follow after these kinds of trampy examples.
- Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?-á (Please join me in praying that-ásome kind and-ábenevolent South Floridian will produce a couple of Monday Night tickets for me to see my beloved ‘fins this year while I’m working in Miami.)
- The difference in wishing “grace” or “vengeance” on someone is usually dependent on whether you need it yourself or you want someone else to get it.
- I’ve lived in the heat and I’ve lived in the cold.-á Personally, I think it’s easier to live in the cold.-á I mean you can always put more clothes on to get warm, but there’s a limit to what you can take off to get cool.
- I recently rented a PT Cruiser and found it to be the roomiest compact care I’ve ever driven.-á I’ve heard they are going out of production and I think that would be a shame.-á They are really a nice little car.
- Why do we punish Cuba with a trade embargo and enrich China with all kinds of free trade?-á-áThey are both communist countries who don’t really like us….and frankly, I’m more frightened by China than-áCuba.
- I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a tattoo that didn’t make the wearer just look a little sleezy.-á I know they are popular.-á I think it sounds cool to hear them called “tats”.-á But c’mon, even a tiny little smiling butterfly makes the wearer look just a little trashy.-á And to call them-á”Body Art” is like saying that grafitti belongs in the capital rotunda.
–áSomeone told me years ago to read the Proverbs that corresponds with the day of the month.-á That was really great advice and no matter how many times I read the Proverbs, I keep learning stuff.
- The amount of junk we tend to gradually accumulate is-ásimply appalling.-á Thus, I end up parking $25,000 worth of automobiles in my driveway while we park-ástuff that wouldn’t bring $250 at a-áyard sale in the garage.-á Pretty stupid, isn’t it?
- Arby’s Homestyle Turkey/Bacon/Ranch Sandwhich is outstanding.-á The bread is whole grain and really great.-á Plus, there’s something about them that makes you feel like you’re eating healthy when you have one even though it isn’t.
OK….I’m out of time.-á Until-áthe next rant-o-mania…I’m over and out.