Now that America has decided what direction she wants to take for the next four-to-eight years, let me get out my crystal ball and predict for you what I believe is going to happen during the Obama years.
1. Your taxes are going to go up. Count on it. For those dupes who bought into the idea that they’d get a tax break on the backs of higher taxes for businesses and the wealthy, just to whom do you think they are going to pass on their increased costs as they work to make their usual profit? Yep — that would be YOU. So you might get a little break on your taxes (temporarily, if then) but you’re going to pay more for the goods and services you need to survive. Surprise!
2. Babies are going to die. Don’t give me pathetic arguments about unwanted children and liberals caring about babies “after they’re born”, ad nauseum and so on and so forth. Bottom line…Abortion — any kind, any time, for any reason — is now the law of the land and any chance that Roe vs. Wade would be over-turned (as if there ever was a chance) is now toast. Instead, it will be easier, cheaper and more accessible and woe to the little guy or girl who happens to have his mom change his mind after the point of viability, cuz’ President Obama will ensure that you can have your brains sucked out in an abortionist’s cave or should you be so unfortunate as to be born alive, you can be left shivering on a stainless steel table until you succumb. But, hey….you’re free to choose!
3. People that plan ahead and are going to lose their Social Security. The dirty little secret that Washington doesn’t want to deal with is that the Social Security Fund is bankrupt. There is no way that we will have the massive expansion of entitlements that Obama has promised AND the reality of millions of baby boomers hitting retirement age AND no changes in Social Security. You think we have financial problems now? So, here comes means testing for Social Security. What does that mean? People like me….people who don’t buy every new flat screen that comes out, drive used cars and don’t take vacations that they can’t afford, but who do save for their retirement and who will have somewhat of a nest egg built up by the time they hit 70 or so will be told that for the good of those who have never thought beyond their current paycheck, we won’t get our Social Security. We already have “enough”.
4. Watch Out AM Radio. I predict that the government is now going to step in and regulate speech on the public airways with the so-called “Fairness Doctrine” which takes away freedom of choice and forces radio and TV stations to present ‘both’ sides of view rather than the free market. Of course, who gets to decide which side and how much? You got it……big brothers in Washington. I hope Rush got a guaranteed contract last time around. They going after him for starters.
5. Activist Judges are on their way. One only has to do 10 minutes of research to find Obama’s stance on the constitution and judges, but with his unshakable majorities in the Senate, you are going to see a wave of liberal, activist judges who will be commissioned to legislate from the bench like nothing you’ve ever seen since FDR expanded the Supreme Court so he could get his way. This alone will haunt American law for a generation and probably means the end of strict constructionism as a viable legal philosophy.
6. Gay Partnerships = Marriage. All it will take is a host of liberal federal judge appointees and two of the right seats on the Supreme Court and it will happen sooner rather than later, but either way, the tide has completely turned against the defense of traditional marriage.
7. A massive expansion of the definition of “Hate”. Extreme liberals are often complete tyrannicals when it comes to “free speech” (as are extreme conservatives.) “Hate Speech” is a pet phrase that hides an agenda intended to silence critics of immoral or impolitic conduct. (See Canada for examples.) Preaching and teaching against homosexuality will be the first target of those who think that offering an opposing point of view is a form of violence. Unless of course you are the editorial board of the New York Times or San Francisco Chronicle or a columnist for the Huffington Post.
8. A complete change in our economic and business system is coming. Mark today as the beginning of the end for free trade and the beginning of the beginning for protectionism. I would not be surprised to see the auto industry, airlines, possibly large sections of the banking industry, large sections of the health care industry and perhaps even some utilities and fuel industries nationalized. Labor Unions are going to come back with a roar and you can expect to see some heavy-handed and intimidating tactics used to resurrect a movement that was all but dead 20 years ago.
9. Home-schoolers and parochial/Christian schools beware. Empowered and confident, Nancy Pelosi and her leftist friends are going to go after educational institutions that don’t help them accomplish their agenda. For twenty-five years, private educators have had it easy. Those days are coming to an end. Those who accepted federal funding had better be prepared to pay the piper as the strings that came with government money get yanked big time. Home-school parents are particularly despised by social manipulators who think they know what is better for children than most parents.
10. They will have an impact on a dispirited and disorganized conservative movement. The tea leaves aren’t clear on this issue. There’s no real leader on the horizon to lead a charge for true blue conservatives. The Republican party is a shambles and a disgrace and may well be finished unless it returns to its roots and quit listening to its insiders who set them up for this catastrophe with their neo-conservative snobbery that disdains social conservatives and promoted an unaccountable military machine and Wall Street robber baron mentality that lead to yesterday’s bloodbath. I predict a civil war within the Republican party and if the real conservatives don’t win, they’lll bolt. Of course, if they do, then you’ll continue to see an exodus of the “Big Tent” people who were never conservative or Republican.
I realize I sound a bit bitter and even more cynical, but I really have a lot of peace. I think we are now what we have been becoming. This is not a triumph of liberalism as much as it is a failure of conservatives. The religious liberals didn’t suddenly gain credibility and the intellectual high-ground, the evangelicals lost theirs and what they didn’t lose, they gave away with compromise of the theological and intellectual kind. The moral vacuum that exists in Washington today is not a Democrat problem. It is a leadership problem and it knows no political affiliation.
I know, I know….everyone “hates” politics, but get off that tired old cliche. Politics is what leads to power and influence in this system and the conservatives got their tails handed to them because they had less principle when they held the reins of authority than they promised they’d have.
So now it’s Obama and the Democrats chance. I’m not optimistic that they’ll do any better. But, then, in their wisdom, the Founding Father did give us a solution. It begins on the first Tuesday in November….2010.
So we are now what we have been becoming. I am sad for our nation and sad for our future. It will be interesting now to see how people who possess a Biblical worldview respond as light and salt in a world that has dramatically changed.