John and Charles Wesley are considered the Founding Brothers of “Methodism”. Today’s Methodist churches (particularly United Methodists) are a far cry from the gospel message preached and lived by the Wesley’s. Some have argued that the Wesley brothers and early Methodism were too legalistic and Arminian in their theology and practice. Today, I would also argue that we have largely abandoned any pretense in American evangelicalism of desire to live holy and dedicated (as in separated from the world) lives that are marked by our desire to put on Christlikeness as a consequence of our devoted love and life to Him.
Here’s a list I stumbled upon recently at Boston Baptist College which was posted on a wall in a faculty area. It challenged and convicted me and I thought I’d share it with you.
These are 22 questions the members of John Wesley’s Holy Club asked each day in their private devotions.
This was over 200 years ago.
1. Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I’m better ……than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?
2. Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?
3. Do I confidentially pass on what was told to me in confidence?
4. Can I be trusted?
5. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work or habits?
6. Am I self-conscious, self-pitying or self justifying?
7. Did the Bible live in me today?
8. Do I give it time to speak to me everyday?
9. Am I enjoying prayer?
10. When did I last speak to someone else about my faith?
11. Do I pray about the money I spend?
12. Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?
13. Do I disobey God in anything?
14. Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?
15. Am I defeated in any part of my life?
16. Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy or distrustful?
17. How do I spend my spare time?
18. Am I proud?
19. Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees ……who despised the publican?
20. Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard? If so, what I am doing about it?
21. Do I grumble or complain constantly?
22. Is Christ real to me?